The Sesame Seed is considered to be the oldest oilseed crop known to the man-kind and is grown in the wild. It is also known by the name of the ‘survivor crop’ as it can bear the highest of the temperature, droughts, floods and excessive rains. This crop grows at its best on a well-drained fertile soil. An adequate amount of moisture is required for the germination and its speedy growth.
In 2013, the most productive sesame yielding farms were in Greece. It reported a yield of 0.69 tons per hectare and it was the highest yield nation-wide. Africa is the master producer of sesame seeds followed by India, China and Tanzania.
The year 2010 saw the largest global trade of the sesame seeds. It was recorded as one billion dollars world-wide. Till date, the prices have ranged between 800 USD to 1700 USD per metric ton. The seeds are sold across the world with a wide price range on the basis of quality perception, basically upon its looks and size.
Nutritional Information And Cuisine
Dried whole sesame seeds are rich in calories and are composed of dietary fiber, carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
As far as its use for cooking is concerned, the seeds are used in many different global cuisines. Pasteli, the Greek sweet candy comprises of honey, sugar and sesame seeds. The bifteki is another famous Greek delicacy involving the vegetables and the sesame buns. The sesame cookies are the specialty of Greece.
The ‘survivor’ seed has different qualities and one such quality is possessed by it that makes it unique at the other side. There are people who are allergic to sesame seeds. If one feels any of the symptoms mentioned below, then it is an indication that the person is allergic and should abstain from sesame.
· Flushing in the face
· Itching in hands
These are common symptoms and the signs that are an early warning for a person. If not taken proper precaution, they may turn from bad to worse in no time.
Health Benefits Of Sesame
The sesame seeds play a vital role as a home remedy. They provide benefits to everyone’s health. Major benefits that people receive are as follows.
· A high protein food- Sesame seeds are full protein food and comprise of 4.7 grams per ounce.
· Reduces blood pressure- Sesame seed oil contains magnesium which helps in reducing the blood pressure.
· Improves digestion- The fiber content present in the seeds improves the digestion.
· Anti-cancer shield- Anti cancer compounds like magnesium and phytolestrols stops the growth of cancer in body.
· Relief from Arthritis- A regular massage from sesame oil heated moderately terminates the joint pain and provides relief. The high copper content is responsible for strengthening the bones and the muscles.